Sunday 11 October 2015

Short Term Mission in Bolivia

ARRIVAL ON 3RD OCTOBER

I arrived in La Paz early Saturday morning on 2nd October to commence my 2 months in Coroico. La Paz has the highest altitude of approx 3500 metres above sea level for an International Airport in the world. When we arrived it had snowed. Instead of arriving to 20 degrees Celsius as in the forecast it was Zero degrees!! I traveled from Miami with 3 people who were travelling to Carmen Pampa so I had a lift with them to Coroico to drop off my luggage and then on to Carmen Pampa when I met Srs. Jean and Chris who live and work at Carmen Pampa.


 Map of Bolivia – Bolivia is surrounded by 5 countries

La Paz airport – This new airport building was opened in 2015. 


La Paz City – This city has over 1 million inhabitants, and is the political and economic centre of Bolivia. The poor live in houses on the slopes.



Snow on Mountains – Mountains for many kilometres were covered in snow.


Map of Coroico -  Road from La Paz to Coroico showing old and new roads. The distance is 96 kilometers and takes approx. 3 hours. Dotted line shows INCA Trail which passes through Coroico. The youth walk this trail during Holy Week arriving Good Friday at the Coroico Cathedral

Old Road to Coroico (taken from car window) 
Final leg of the road into Coroico, still dirt!!!!

In my next BLOG I will show you the Convent in Coroico where I am staying
and the spectacular view of the mountains from the top veranda!!!

3 comments:

  1. The printing was larger in the draft and turned out smaller!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very exciting for you. Stay safe 😊

    ReplyDelete